Natural Remedies for Sleep Disruption
It is well established that restful sleep is crucial for our health, not to mention our sense of well-being. Adequate sleep benefits essentially every part of our bodies, including brain function, immune system, cardiovascular health and metabolism. And, not surprisingly, sleep deprivation (generally considered to be less than 7-9 hours of restful sleep), is associated with an array of health problems, including hypertension, heart attacks and strokes, obesity, diabetes, depression and anxiety, decreased brain function and memory loss. Not to mention that being groggy during the day due to a restless night makes us feel cranky and stressed.
And yet, it is the rare person over 50 who does not experience occasional or even chronic sleep disruption, from generally poor sleep quality to sleeping fewer hours to awakening for no reason in the middle of the night. For women, a sleep disruption is a common – and frustrating -- symptom of menopause.
For women who want to avoid over-the-counter or prescription sleep aids, there is a wide range of healthful practices that can help them sleep more soundly on a more consistent basis. Some of the most common and effective lifestyle adjustments include:
- Going to sleep when you feel sleepy and then get up at the same time each morning.
- Avoiding late-afternoon naps – no matter how tempting that sounds!
- Avoiding caffeinated or alcoholic drinks late in the day or at night.
- Exercise on most days. However, know that exercise or physical activity done too close to bedtime can make it harder to fall asleep. Experts recommend exercising at least 5 or 6 hours before your bedtime.
- Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, and cool. If light is a problem, try a sleeping mask. If noise is a problem, try earplugs, a fan, or a “white noise” machine to cover up the sounds.
- Avoid lighted screens, like a laptop or smartphone, before bed.
There is also an array of natural products many people use to support more consistent, restful sleep. Natural sleep products are not reviewed by The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to determine effectiveness or safety. And one should always consult with a healthcare professional before trying a natural health product. However, natural sleep products are widely used in large part because people find them helpful as part of a healthy lifestyle and they enable them to avoid prescription and over-the-counter sleep aids.
Respect Wellness’ Night Sky includes 600 milligrams of full-spectrum CBD, along with a proprietary blend of other herbal extracts commonly used for sleep support: reishi mushroom, California poppy, passion flower, spiny zizyphus, Chinese knotweed, rosacea, radish seed and albizzia. Shake well and take one or two droppers sublingually an hour before bedtime.